Selenium is used to treat the following diseases and/or disorders:
- Cancer. Studies have shown that selenium supplements can play an important role in protecting the body against several types of tumors: tumors of rectum, ovary, colon, lung, and cervix.
- Heart disease. Selenium reduces the risk of heart disease by increasing level of HDL cholesterol (beneficial cholesterol) and lowers LDL (harmful cholesterol). Selenium also prevents platelets sticking together, thus reducing the risk of atherosclerosis.
- Rheumatoid arthritis. Selenium is used in combination with vitamin E.
- Detoxification of the body from poisoning by arsenic, cadmium, and mercury.
- High blood pressure in pregnancy,
- Treatment of hair, skin and nails,
- Improve mood,
- Treatment of depression and fatigue